Monday, January 31, 2011

Steam Punk

    
     I read my first "steam punk" book this week. It was Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan. If you don't know what steam punk is, it's a mix of the past and future. Usually it takes place in the late 1800s or early 1900s but with technology that is futuristic. Think Wild Wild West.
     It took me a bit to get into the book, mostly because it had terminology that I just didn't know. But once I got used to it, and thanks to some great illustrations, the book got better and better as I went along. Last night about halfway through I couldn't put it down and I just finished it at lunch. I'm excited for Behemoth, which is book two that I'm hoping I can snatch up from the library this afternoon.
     Steam punk, like dystopian, probably wouldn't be my genre of choice. But with great characters (I love the girl pretending to be a boy to join the army), and an action-packed story, Leviathan hooked me. So if you want to give steam punk a try, pick this one up first. I'd definitely recommend it to my husband and nephews because it's a great boys book.

No comments:

Post a Comment