Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dream Roles

    So in another life I was totally a broadway star. Seriously. It's a dream I've long given up due to the fact that 1- my voice sucks, and 2- my dancing is not up to par (at least not anymore!). But it's something I dreamed about when I was younger and watched an alarming number of movie musicals. I've even been in some musicals- West Side Story, Carousel, Guys and Dolls- although never with a starring role.
     Some of the dream roles I've wanted to play...
  
     I was 17 when Hercules came out. I know, I know, it's not a Broadway musical. But I just love Meg and the song she sings, "I Won't Say I'm In Love". If it was an actual play- give me the part of Meg, I would totally rock that song and the line, "do you have a name to go along with all those rippling pectorals?"


     As a teen, I wanted to be Eponine from Les Mis. I totally connected to "On My Own"- you know, dreaming of that guy who just doesn't notice you. As I've gotten older, wiser, and more cynical, I connect more with Fantine's "I Dreamed a Dream". Honestly, I'd take either part.

     I didn't get introduced to Chicago until the movie version came out. I'll admit, it's a little risque. But "All That Jazz" is probably the song I've belted out the most when I'm in the car by myself. And I love to soften it up a bit and sing "Funny Honey" (I could only get the first 30 seconds of the song). Give me either part and I'd be happy.

     Again, Moulin Rouge is not a broadway musical. And playing a courtesan is not my ideal. The singing is a little high for me, but I'd have the dancing down no prob. So why Mouling Rouge? Two words: Ewan McGregor. Who could say no to singing alongside him? (Although if I'm going to go with that reasoning I'd have to add High School Musical or Hairspray for the reason of Zac Efron.) Besides, the music is just awesome.

     Phantom of the Opera is my 2nd fave musical (Les Mis takes the top spot). I could NEVER EVER play the role of Christine- my voice is so not operatic. But All I Ask of You is just so beautiful, I've dreamt of doing that duet with the man I love. (Can you imagine Jeff singing that?!) And a side note: Gerard Butler is the hottest Phantom I've ever seen.



     Growing up I watched a lot of old musicals, and there were a few roles I thought I'd be good at. 1) Ava Gardner's role in Show Boat- "Can't Help Lovin' That Man" (I found one version on playlist but I had to delete it because it annoyed me). 2) Ado Annie from Oklahoma- "I Cain't Say No" (couldn't find it on playlist). 3) Adelaide from Guys and Dolls (couldn't find any of her songs either).
        

Those are my dream roles. In my dreams I'm belting them out on stage to thunderous applause. Hey- it could happen. Ok, probably not.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I sooooo DO NOT agree with you...you have a really nice singing voice. I have sat next to you in church and heard you sing so ha ha!

    I can totally see you in one of these rolls...you would be great in any of them. I have also seen you in a play and you did very well. I wish I had your courage to do these kinds of things...but I can honestly say I CAN NOT sing or dance! Mind you I sound pretty dang good in the shower I must say ha ha ha!! You on the other hand can do both and act...you are what they call a triple threat hey =)

    ReplyDelete