Saturday, April 26, 2014

A-Z Challenge: Writing and Why I Love It

So I started this post a couple of days ago and I sat there tap-tapping on my computer desk and eating cadbury mini eggs and wondering why in heck do I love writing? And why don't I know why?

Now I'm back at it today- trying to figure out WHY I love to write. It could be that writing allows me to play God. I get to create my own world and my own characters who do whatever I tell them to. I can kill off anyone I like. I can make romance come true. I can laugh and cry, all from a few touches of the keyboard.

But is that really why I love writing? As egotistical or self-absorbed as I can be sometimes, I really don't think that's the answer. Mostly because I know that no matter how much I control my first draft, later drafts are never completely in my own hands. I go from playing God to being the peon- at the mercy of smarter and savvy readers who tell me (rightfully) that my characters and setting are crap and that I need to make them better.

So why do I love writing? Because it's a release in a way? A way to let those stories and characters in my head OUT so that I don't die from head-explosion? Sure. Or how about because writing helps me to actually accomplish something other than getting my bathrooms cleaned or my kids to school on time. Sure, that's great too.

But it's still not why I love to write. I think the biggest reason why I love it is because it MAKES ME HAPPY. I write and I smile. It puts me in a good mood. It gives me that whole on-top-of-the-world feeling. I write and I love it and that's that. Who really cares why. Just that I do.

Another thing I love? This song:
What I Wouldn't Do by Serena Ryder

6 comments:

  1. My post today addresses the same issue! I do love playing God and creating characters:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely--writing is something we were born to do. I think that's the top thing to remember. Even if the process of getting/being published is tough, we should still know that we'd write anyway. It's all about loving what we do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's surely the most precious thing in the world to be able to do what you love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent song choice! I love that song, too.
    While I do like the head-explosion reason (and I might use that one myself!), I totally agree with doing it because it makes you happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post made me stop to think about why I love to write, and I found it hard to pinpoint a reason why. But it makes me happy, for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing I seem to like least about writing is actually getting myself to the keyboard and starting to write. When I'm actually writing, and get into the "zone" I'm having a blast. When I contemplate stories and devise plots, I'm in creative heaven. When I read some of the better things that I've written, I feel a deep sense of satisfaction. The problem is persuading my lazy, procrastinating self that it's time to do some writing and I'll thank myself for it later. :)

    ReplyDelete