Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Writing Retreat

Today's Road Trip Wednesday question, hosted by YA Highway is:

If you could go on a writing retreat anywhere, where would you go & who would you bring?
 
If time and money were no object, where would you shut yourself away to write the great American novel? And what friends, crit partners, or inspiring authors (living or dead!) would you bring along?

Oh this question is so so easy (and I think I've answered it before...)

While there are many places in the world I wish to travel, there is only one place that would be my dream writing retreat. In fact, it would be my dream living spot. It's not actually a specific place but there are certain things I want there:


1. Hot weather. Lots of sun. A light breeze (not major wind).

2. A beach.

3. Soft sand.

4. Warm ocean (or lake) for writing breaks.

And that's it. That's all I ask. Who would I bring? Um, no one? (Ha, sorry family.) If I was living there, obviously I'd want my family there. But if I'm just going to write, if I'm "shutting myself away to write the great American Canadian novel," then I'd rather be alone. No interruptions. No distractions. No worrying that one of my kids is gonna drown in said ocean. Even other authors, or crit partners, or anyone really would be distracting. Because then you'd get to chatting... and laughing... and not writing. I'd want perfect and complete PEACE. (Probably because I never get it.)

A few other things I'd need there:

1. Phone, iPad, iPod. For music and research. Not to go on twitter or play games or anything like that, I swear.

2. Someone to feed me and bring me drinks. Like a hot cabana boy. Just kidding. Or not.

3. Books to read, for other writing breaks and inspiration.

Where would you go? Would you bring someone with you?

9 comments:

  1. Beaches are wonderful for writing. I definitely need some body of water for a writing retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg. I don't know if I could write at the ocean. I'd be so ALL THE WATER!! I think a quiet cabin is more my speed. Unless I was on a long sabbatical. Then, I could get all my kayaking and windsurfing out of the way and THEN drink frilly drinks by the sand and not be distracted! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first instinct was also the beach but I would just waste too much time in the ocean, tanning, etc. But I agree - solitude is best for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your wish list is pretty much perfect. I'd have to have a truckload of SPF along, but that wouldn't stop me. I think the sound of the water on the beach would be a perfect soundtrack for writing (if it wasn't lulling me to sleep).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like anywhere quiet and secluded. I couldn't be gone for too long because of the fam, but a little alone time is better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also definitely need something to keep me in steady supply of food...and beverages :) Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beach sounds lovely, ah....and steady supply of food and drink is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you got it right. The only thing I'd add is an umbrella. Cause although I love the heat, I like to be sitting in the shade while I enjoy that heat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a tendency to fall asleep on beaches (which results in terrible sunburns), so I would have to get away from the beach to get any writing done. Noel Coward had a home in the hills of Jamaica - gorgeous place with an amazing view. Far enough away from the beach that I could probably stay awake to get some work done.

    ReplyDelete