Thursday, February 2, 2012

What I've Learned From Goodreads

     And here it is, from me and all my infinite wisdom (haha):

     Not everyone will like your book.

     I know, I'm such a genius, right? But it's something us both as readers and writers need to remember. I've been on Goodreads only a handful of times, usually to see if others agree with what I thought of a book. (I never read the reviews before I've read a book because I don't want them to ruin it for me. I want to start the book opinionless.) Each time, the reviews have run anywhere from one-star to five stars. Reviews of, I hated this book, it was horrendous! to the reviews we all want, this book was so awesome, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!
     We don't all agree. We don't all like the same things. But we as people want others to like us. We want them to think we're smart, funny, pretty. Whatever it is, we want to be valued by others. And with the work we do, the time and effort and LOVE we put into our manuscripts, we can't help but want everyone to love them as much as we do.
     The fact is, we're not going to all like the same book. If we have written a book and manage to get it out there, not everyone will like it. Heck, look at Twilight. Those books are insanely popular. Stephenie Meyer has made millions. But look at all the Twi-haters out there.
    Not everyone will like what you do. Take the review, learn from it if you can, and move on. This is something I think about when I hated a book others loved or vice versa. And this is something I hope to remember (I better remember!) if my books ever end up on Goodreads.  
     PS, I'm joining the Origins blogfest. Check it out here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm doing the Origins blogfest, too :D

    I definitely learned the same thing from goodreads.

    What I think is the difference is that the first book I put out, I definitely agreed with some of the criticism, AND I KNEW WHAT KIND OF CRITICISM I was going to get in that book. But - I do agree with some of it.

    My next book that's coming out - I'm fully prepared to roll my eyes and scoff at negative reviews, lol. because I love everything about the book.

    And I'm ALWAYS amazed when I finish a book that blew my mind, that not everyone else felt the same.

    Like my dad used to always say - this is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream, and why my brother would always respond - yeah, well, and COLD STONE, lol.

    ReplyDelete