Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Poetry?

When I first read today's Road Trip Wednesday question, hosted by YA Highway, I thought,

Oh crap.

Here's the question:

April is National Poetry Month! Share your favorite poem(s) or poet

I've read some great poetry in the past, but *cough* it's been awhile. Do you think I can remember a fave poem/poet? Um, that would be an obvious no. I know I've read poems that I've totally loved, I studied different poets in school, but nothing sticks and I don't have one book of poetry on my bookshelf. (I feel so ashamed.) I need to go watch Dead Poets Society- I used to love that movie and I'm sure there's a poem or ten in there somewhere that I love.

Anyway, I'm going to totally cheat because I finished Clockwork Princess a few days ago and Cassandra Clare likes to put poems at the beginning of each of her chapters and this is one I particularly liked:

If the past year were offered me again,
And choice of good and ill before me set
Would I accept the pleasure with the pain
Or dare to wish that we had never met?

-Augusta, Lady Gregory "If the Past Year Were Offered Me Again"

And now I'm going to totally mack off what YA Highway did for their song of the week except I've got something better than Benedict Cumberbatch. (What is it about Brits and their totally swoony voices?)

 


9 comments:

  1. I'm not big into poetry, but all the poems at the beginning of Cassandra Clare's chapters make me want to get into it more. It seems like there's a huge expanse of inspiration in it, I just don't know how to find it yet. Someday I hope to. Thanks for sharing.

    And oh boy, do I love me some Richard Armitage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry is hard, but if I had to pick one, I think I'd go with W.E.Henley "Invictus"

    There are a lot of copies of it, and it's a little long for a blog comment, but it's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems Cassandra Clare is a popular choice — maybe it's time to bump her to the top of my TBR list! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have a book of T.S. Eliot poems on my shelf. Not that I've looked at it in... a lot of years. :) Interesting you mention Brits with swoony voices... there are some Brits that don't have swoony voices (like me), but one of the things that makes me pause about audiobooks is whether the narrator really fits the book. For example, having an American narrate a book written by a Brit, and vice versa. I don't know about you, but that would bother me. Sorry... off topic, I know, but it just came to mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't listen to audiobooks, but that would be annoying listening to something when the voice doesn't fit. And yeah, if the book is by a British author, I would hope they'd use a British person. There are so many Brit-isms that wouldn't make sense in an American said them.

      Delete
  5. Poetry can't be everybody's thing and that's ok. It's not as easily accessible as fiction. At least you found a creative solution! Thanks for sharing.

    Muffins and Metaphors

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't actually listen to the poem Richard Armitage read because I was too busy swooning. Maybe I should try again later, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, all I heard is him saying "Oh Lady, Oh lady," and I can't think of anything else! Haha.

      Delete
  7. I just did a post on poetry too, but I had no idea April was national poetry month! And I LOVE how Cassandra Clare uses poems in her chapters and writing.

    ReplyDelete