It's my first time for May I Tell You Something About Writing, since I was in Hawaii last week (is it bad that I wish I was still there?).
So... here's what I know about writing:
1. Sometimes writing is the Best. Thing. Ever.
2. Sometimes writing is very hard.
3. Everyone has their own writing style.
4. What one person loves loves loves, another will loathe entirely.
5. Writing takes practice.
6. The more you write, the better you get.
7. There are a bazillion writing rules out there...
8. But- there are also a bazillion bestsellers/classics/award-winners that have completely ignored those rules.
9. But- as a newbie, we should NOT break those rules, if at all possible.
10. Inspiration comes in the oddest places.
11. The best ideas/sentences/scenes come just as I'm about to fall asleep.
12. Adverbs are a disease I can't seem to shake.
13. Editing is hard.
14. Editing is a MUST.
15. Beta readers are a MASSIVE MUST.
16. Writing is NOT lonely- look at all those writing/writer blogs out there.
17. Querying is hard.
18. Rejections suck bricks.
19. Requests are awesome, but not as awesome as an offer (I don't really know this firsthand, but I'm sure it's true.)
20. No matter how much I think I know about writing, I often feel I know absolutely NOTHING about writing.
I'm sure there's more, but that's all I got right now. So what do you know about writing? I'm always good for advice (see #20).