Monday, January 9, 2012

On Beta-ing

     Yesterday I was asked by someone at church if I did any writing over Christmas and my answer was, "actually, no."
     Did I feel guilty about this response?
     Actually, no.
     Why? Because I've been busy beta-ing for someone else. I know many people out there can write and beta at the same time. I can too except that I tend to be a slow beta-er. If I feel any guilt at all its because of that and not because I haven't been writing.
     I strongly advise not only to get your own stuff read by others (preferably strangers) but to read for others yourself. Beta-ing is like teaching. The teacher gets as much, sometimes more, than the student. I notice things when I beta and then say to myself, I've got to watch out for that in my own MS. These are things I probably wouldn't notice in my own MS in the first place.
     My point here (since I can't seem to find the right words this Monday morning) is that beta-ing helps teach you the craft of writing. It's helpful to a writer in all the right ways. So take the time and do it.

5 comments:

  1. Beta reading is the best experience in the world. One because of the learning aspect you've mentioned. Two because I get to read things I might not normally pick up for myself. Three because I've made some of the most awesome friends. Working on one now as a matter of fact :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I'm critiquing my friends manuscript right now and learning lots. Same thing when I beta read. Although I look forward to making more writing friends that I click with to share work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for beta-ing for me! I truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete