Wednesday, September 24, 2014

What's Up Wednesday: ERGH

What I'm Reading
I read Landline by Rainbow Rowell and I've got lots of thoughts about it. First, I'd read anything Rainbow Rowell writes. She does characters and dialogue SO WELL. However, and I hate to even say that word, but I felt like there really was no character arc for the MC whatsoever. It felt more like reading about a week in someone's life. Things happened, but nothing changed by the end. I just got to know a couple of characters really well, that's it. The ending was REALISTIC, but this is a novel I'm reading here and I expected some sort of real resolution and didn't feel like I got that. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't say any more than that. Except, ergh.
Then I read Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison. I saw the movie awhile ago and always wanted to read the book. It was funny like I thought it would be but I felt like something was missing, probably because of the diary format. (Spoiler coming: For example, Robbie suddenly likes her in the end but we get no real reason why because he's barely there and they barely interact and he has maybe five lines of dialogue the entire book.) I did like it enough that I do want to read more of the books sometime.
What I'm Writing Revising
Still JAR OF HEARTS. It's going good. And that's all I've got to say about that.
What Works For Me
Music is huge for me. I know I talk about it all the time. Sometimes songs come up that remind me of my WIPs, but sometimes I hear a song that I want to write a book around. Like Jar of Hearts. I heard the song back when it was first performed on SYTYCD and loved it. Later, I thought it would make a great contemp YA book, but not one I could write. Then on one random listen of this song, I got an idea. I got a wonderful awful idea. (Bonus points if you know what that's from.) And last NaNo, I ran with it. It's YA magical realism instead of contemp and it's been wonderful and awful all rolled into one.
The song that inspired it all

What Else I've Been Up To
My sister has come for a visit from Ottawa which is awesome because she brought her 6 month old son whom I've never met before! It's been great to spend a little time with her and the baby and some other family members this week.
Also, I finished watching the last season of Being Erica. I'm a little sad to say goodbye to the show, but it wrapped up nicely and now I can go back to Doctor Who!
Fan made trailer of Being Erica season 4

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're getting to enjoy some family time, Melanie! I kind of loved LANDLINE. I thought Georgie's character growth came from her learning to truly appreciate her husband. I found it all very relatable because most married couples go through wonderful ups and trying downs, and getting through those downs in one piece is what makes or breaks them. Totally agree that Rainbow Rowell does characters and dialogue amazingly. Funny how she writes conversations about the most benign topics, and they end up being so incredibly compelling. I want to do that too! :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like it was really relatable too- I saw myself and my husband in both characters at times. But I felt like she appreciated and loved her husband from the start and the end just came with a promise that she would try harder. Like I said, it was realistic, but still disappointing. I guess I expected more of an ending. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hmm. All I have heard about the book is people gush over it. It's good to see a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your WIP's going well! :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with those revisions :D

    Music is an essential part of my writing process. So inspiring ^_^

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The video for Jar of Hearts is so cool! When I saw that you were working on a WIP by the same title, I actually wondered if it was your inspiration. You're right--it does seem like there's a whole story there needing to be told.

    I agree that Being Erica wrapped up nicely. I loved the ending, It's such a great, little show and is a prime example of how Canadian TV has improved in leaps and bounds in recent years. I need to buy that one on blu-ray for sure because I know I'll watch it again.

    Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great minds must think alike because I came up with an idea from a comment I saw once on the Jar of Hearts video. I haven't actually written anything from it, but it's pasted into a document, waiting for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the song, and trailer of Jar of Hearts. It's such a beautiful song. Good luck with your revisions

    ReplyDelete