Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What's Up Wednesday: There Is No Else

WHAT I'M READING
I read Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and it was excellent. It did take me a bit to get into it, but most fantasy is like that for me. Once I did, I loved it! Can't wait to read the next one!
Last night I finished Isla and the Happily Ever After and I loooooved eeeeet. Stephanie Perkins writes such swoony romances and wonderful characters. However, I liked Anna and Lola better than Isla. I think I just connected more with Anna and Lola as characters. I never really got a clear sense of Isla. Maybe I was too distracted by all the hot kissing scenes!
WHAT I'M WRITING REVISING
I finished my revisions on Jar of Hearts yesterday! *dances* Now I'm going to let it sit awhile while I revamp my Eponine query, and then start planning for NaNoWriMo.
WHAT WORKS FOR ME
Schedules. I started writing "seriously" when my youngest was six months old and the best time was always during her early afternoon nap. I've kept that same time since then (5 years later), only straying from it on the weekends or when I've wanted to keep going at night. I'm a pretty scheduled person and this is my scheduled writing time and I'm keeping it because it WORKS.
WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO
Else? Sometimes it feels like there is no "else" when I'm neck-deep in a WIP. But I did have some more family time with my sister and her baby and my parents, and me and the hubs snuck in a movie date.

What's up with you?

7 comments:

  1. YAYYYYY for finishing your revision!!!!!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing the rewrite! I really need to try scheduling my days a little more closely, because I have a bunch of things I need to work on and I'm not doing any of them justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting through your revisions! That's awesome, Melanie! :D As for ISLA versus ANNA and LOLA, I felt much the same way you did. I didn't get a good sense of who Isla was either. It's my least favourite of the three, to be honest. By a lot. I much prefer a slower burn romance and with ISLA it happened far too quickly for my taste. Of the three, I think ANNA is still my fave, with LOLA as a close second. (Hard to beat Paris as a setting.) I really like schedules too. I've been terrible with sticking to one lately, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to get back to that this fall. Hope you have a wonderful week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you've managed to find a schedule that works for you and keep it up for so many years. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on finishing your revisions! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on finishing revisions! Finding a schedule that works for you and sticking to it is excellent. These days my schedule is just writing whenever I have the chance, whether that's in the morning after breakfast or the evening after class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved ISLA too, but like you, it's not my favourite out of the three. LOLA still holds that title. But considering how much I love Stephanie Perkins's books, that still puts it near the top of the heap! I'm happy you enjoyed THRONE OF GLASS too. That's an awesome series.

    Nicely done on finishing your revisions! And I agree that sometimes when you're in the thick of working on a WIP it feels like nothing else is going on. It's amazing how quickly a week goes by! :)

    ReplyDelete