Wednesday, November 28, 2012

MOvember

You know what I hate? Mustaches. Yes I do. They are gross. And unfortunately, anytime I hear the word November, I automatically think MOVEMBER. Thanks a lot you mustachioed weirdos.

What does this have to do with today's Road Trip Wednesday question:

What's the best book you read in Movember November?

Well, absolutely nothing. Except this:


Yes, I reread the Twilight books this past month. This is what else I read:

 



It feels wrong to pick any of the Twilight books as best book of the month, even though I love them all. Also, the mustache. While Charlie Swan is one of my favorite things in the movies, oh the mustache. *shudders*

Okay, I'm kidding. And I can't pick a best book either because aside from the Twilight, I loved the two fiction books I read. My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris was exactly my kind of book. Time travel, art, a roguish and handsome hero, beautiful gowns, and a great voice! And I already said yesterday how much I love Onyx. I had a couple of little irks about both, but in general I loved them both and I'm looking forward to the next books by both authors.

The other two are of course, nonfiction, and while I'm actually enjoying The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer (not done it yet), it's still nonfic and come on, nonfic just doesn't do it for me.

What's your favorite book of Mo... November?

5 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to pick up my super sweet sixteenth century for a while. And i agree on the mustache thing...my brother-in-law is growing one and has had numerous jokes made at his expense by me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mustaches, yuck. I agree. Blech! My husband once had a competition with some friends to see who could grow the best mustache. Without going into detail, I told him I would refrain from any *ahem* married people activities *ahem* until he shaved the hideous thing. And let me tell you - my husband could NOT pull it off. He looked straight up creepy, lol. I still try to pretend that this "competition" never existed. It haunts my memory...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy history, so I can appreciate good non-fic. I think often the trouble with non-fic is that the most informative is not always written by the most engaging of writers. I think that why a lot of writers struggle with research--they can't abide the dull, clunky writing of many first-rate academics. That's my theory, anyway. :) I've learned to put up with bad writing for the sake of learning, but I am always on the look-out for well-written, intellectually stimulating history. :) I might have to take a look at the Ian Mortimer book. Thanks for the recommendation, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Movember is for a great cause, but yuck. Notice how guys don't just opt to grow a mustache but try to grow the most hideous one possible like it's some weird badge of honor? My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century sounds like something I might need to check out. Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked up that time-traveler's guide at a book sale but haven't cracked it open yet. sounds like I should!

    ReplyDelete