Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Calling All Readers of Chick Lit


(I don't have this book but I thought it was funny)

     They say to read the genre you're writing, right? I remember reading that bit of advice when I'd just finished my first draft of Daze and Knights. Up until then, the only YA I'd read was Twilight and Harry Potter (if you can count the latter- I suppose it starts off as more middle grade). Maybe you could include Eragon and Narnia in that category as well. But that was it. So began a love affair with YA (I can't believe what I was missing! I don't think I ever read YA, not even as a teen!). YA will probably be my genre of choice for a long time.
     But. Now I've finished my first draft of Sway and I find myself in exactly the same position. I've hardly read any chick lit. Sophie Kinsella. I think that's it. Oh, and I read Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin and P.S. I Love You by Cecilia Ahern (although is the latter chick lit? Don't know.) I've got The Devil Wears Prada on my TBR pile. The only other books that may apply are Jane Austen-related. Like Austenland, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, etc.
     So. I need some recommendations. What's good? Who's good? What will I LOVE? Please help expand my already huge TBR pile (haha)!
     On to Teaser Tuesday. I'm only picking one sentence this week because it's a long one!

Despite the fact that he no longer dressed like the big dork he did then, despite the fact that he'd swapped the nerd wear for some much cooler clothes, despite the fact that he'd let his hair go all shaggy and loose to the point where it curved down into his face in that cool guy, slightly windswept, effortless way, despite the fact that every time I looked into his brilliant blue eyes I was totally reminded of the Zac Efron poster that used to hang on my old bedroom wall, it still didn't make it okay for him to laugh at me the way he did.

Shimmer, by Alyson Noel, page 10

3 comments:

  1. Marian Keyes does some great chicklit. Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married is my favorite of hers. And Jill Mansell, too. They're both British writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's quite a sentence! Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TT POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mouthful isn't it! lol. Fab & unique choice of teaser, thanks for sharing! New follower :-)

    Here's my TT:
    http://ttoria.blogspot.com

    TToria
    xo

    ReplyDelete