Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

     Last week's Dancing With the Stars was "Guilty Pleasures" week. I sat there watching and wondering what my own guilty pleasures were. I couldn't really think of any. Or maybe I just don't get the concept. Isn't a guilty pleasure something you love, but feel guilty about loving? Something that you don't want other people to know you love?
     I know I like things that might be embarrassing or silly. But I have no problem admitting it. Thankfully I have long passed the time where I feel embarrassed for loving 'N Sync (like I did in my early twenties and still do if I get the hankering) or where I don't want people to know that I *gasp* read for pleasure. I'm not ashamed to admit the things that I love- it's who I am. I don't try to hide those things. The things I do strive to hide are my faults, those things about myself that I hate or wish I could change or am trying to change everyday.
     But I don't want to talk about those things (duh). Instead I decided to compile a list- a la Mia Thermopolis- of my guilty pleasures.

Melanie Stanford's Guilty Pleasures Admitted For All The World To Know

1. Gossip Girl. Ok, maybe this one is kind of a guilty pleasure since I know it's not the best show out there. But what can I say? I love the fashion and the drama!

2. The Vampire Diaries. Two hot vampire brothers- what's not to love?!

3. Big Time Rush- both the TV show and the music. All I will say is, "oh, oh, ohhh-oh-oh"

  4. Teen musicals of all kinds, but especially the ones of the Zac Efron variety. I know I mentioned this in a previous post but it bears mentioning again.

5. Teen books of all kinds but especially the ones where the average girl gets the hottest guy in school (or the hottest vampire in town)

6. Harry Potter everything- the books, the movies, the soundtracks, my Mischief Managed t-shirt, and the theme park I hope to one day visit.

7. Anything by Sophie Kinsella- her books are so funny!

8. Guitar Hero. Who says I can't spend time pretending to be a rock star?!

     Those are the only things I could think of that people might actually laugh at me for. While I don't feel especially guilty over any of them (except perhaps #1), I do want to take just a second to note that I don't spend all of my time doing those things. Because that would be bad. Just sayin'. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I have some of the same guilty pleasures. Like an oh so serious obsession for Twilight...or I did a couple of years ago.

    I don't have TV, but right now I'm totally into that new show "The Voice." I actually invade my friend's homes so I can watch it right when it's on.

    And I too have a love for guitar hero and then there's Just Dance 2 and the Wii fit.

    Oh, here's a good one. My husband's really into the card game, Magic the Gathering. And now I am too. Curses to the collector cards that cost a lot of money!

    Anyway, great post :)

    ReplyDelete