Monday, July 11, 2016

Monday Reads: THE MUSE, a SERPENT, and ACHILLES

Blog? What blog? I have a blog?

I don't know why I've been having such a hard time blogging lately, or even REMEMBERING to blog. I mean, it's almost 5pm on Monday so I'm a little behind today. Not to mention the last time I blogged was a couple of weeks ago.

Ergh. Blogging slump.

Anyway, I read three books these past few weeks.


First, THE MUSE by Jessica Evans. This is a modern-day PRIDE & PREJUDICE retelling where Elizabeth is a ballet dancer in the corps and Darcy is a famous choreographer. Love the concept and loved the book! It was putting two of my favorite things together and it did not go wrong.


Then I read THE SERPENT'S SHADOW by Rick Riordan. This is the last book in the Kane Chronicles. It's been a long time since I read books one and two, but I didn't find it too difficult to jump back into the trilogy. Obviously I'd forgotten some things, but it was easy to keep up and I enjoyed the book. Rick Riordan has a great voice, lots of funny moments, and his books are always action packed with a touch of teenage romance. Great end to the trilogy.


Most recently, I read THE SONG OF ACHILLES by Madeline Miller. It was an excellent retelling of THE ILIAD, told from the POV of Patroclus, and I was captured from start to finish. The only thing that stopped me from giving it five stars was the fact that it switched tenses sometimes. I didn't understand why, and while I think it was intentional (and not bad writing), it threw me out of the story every time it happened. Anyone else read this book and know why the author would switch tenses? I really feel like I missed something there.

Anyway, these were all great reads. Yay for good books!

No comments:

Post a Comment