Monday, May 2, 2016

Monday Reads: STARFLIGHT, STILL LIFE, and LIFE AND DEATH

STARFLIGHT by Melissa Landers was a great YA sci-fi. I'm not a huge sci-fi fan but I've been loving some of the YA stuff I've read lately. This book was fun, fast-paced, and exciting. I loved the slow burn relationship between the two MCs especially. They didn't hate each other just for the sake of some sexual tension, there was a real reason behind it, and then how they gradually become friends, then something more developed naturally and was really believable. I also really liked the secondary characters in this book. It was a great read and I'll definitely pick up the next book.
STILL LIFE by D.B. Kennison is an adult suspense/romance. I don't usually pick up this kind of book- the kind with the dead bodies piling up- I shiver just thinking about it. But I really enjoyed it. The female MC was my favorite kind- strong and feisty but with a vulnerable side- and the male MC wasn't this domineering jerk who we're supposed to love, he also had a vulnerable side which didn't take away from his strong male personality. There was a great mix between the romance and the suspense, but the suspense is really what made the book for me. I was on the edge of my seat, sick to my stomach as the tension built, and then the twist at the end... wow. Really well done.
LIFE AND DEATH by Stephenie Meyer is the gender-swap TWILIGHT. I kinda knew what to expect coming in, and the book met those expectations. I did have a bit of a hard time with the gender swap, I think because the book is so similar to the original. Every time I would pick it up to continue reading, I would have to remind myself that Bella is now a boy, and Edward is a girl. I never could quite lose myself in the story because of that. I did enjoy the book though, because it was interesting to see the story play out with all the gender-swapping. I also really loved the end, which I had no idea was going to happen. So yay for that.

What did you read this week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment