Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Wednesday Writes: Some Editor Love

Last January, I had a HUGE decision to make: which publishing contract out of three should I accept?

I took this decision very seriously, and it was super hard to make. Like most decisions, I had no idea what the final outcome would be so I had to do a lot of research, and then go with my gut.


One of the things that made this decision slightly easier, was that my editor from Samhain contacted me directly. He was the one to offer. He told me up front what his editing style is like, and we had very brief email chitchats back and forth before I made my decision. From that little intro alone, I knew this was someone I could work with, and that was one of the reasons I went with Samhain Publishing.

Not that I wasn't super super nervous to get that first editing letter. I'd heard of twenty-page long epistles detailing everything wrong about an author's manuscript, and I was dying worrying I'd get one of these. Not that I wasn't ready to roll up my sleeves, but still... nerves. My edits weren't quite so long *phew*, and they were spot on. I think I agreed with almost everything my editor said, and not because I was trying to be easygoing. He was just right. It was so easy to work with him and I count myself lucky that I had such a talented editor look over my work and make it better. The best thing about him though, was that he really brought the funny to this manuscript. Out of six unpublished works, this was by far my most serious, and my most quiet. I did have a few lighter moments, but I'm not gonna lie, it's a kinda angsty book, in an adult way. So I love that my editor helped me create some laugh out loud moments.

To Noah Chinn, I'm grateful to have you as my editor, and I hope I don't drive you too crazy. ;)
  
CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment