Monday, November 9, 2015

Monday Reads: MORE THAN MAGIC and HARRY POTTER

It was a great reading week! (Which I LOVE.)

I read MORE THAN MAGIC, a fellow Samhain book by Donna June Cooper. Here's the premise:

DEA agent Nick McKennitt is sure magic exists—a dangerous drug called Smoky Mountain Magic that’s wreaking havoc on the streets of Atlanta. He’s also sure that locating and eliminating the source could mean his death.

When he arrives undercover on Woodruff Mountain, the beautiful owner’s anxious attempts to scare him off tell him something’s afoot, and it’s not her secret patch of a rare, ancient species of ginseng.

As her dream of seeking medicinal plants in the Amazon fades into the distance, Grace Woodruff struggles to come to terms with an inherited magical gift she didn’t want, and searches desperately for the meaning behind her late grandfather’s final, cryptic message. 

The last thing she needs underfoot is a handsome, enigmatic writer recovering from a recent illness. Until an accidental touch unleashes a stunning mystical force and Grace senses the wrath of a malicious blight at the heart of the mountain. Now she must choose between her need to hide her gift from the world…and her desire to save Nick’s life.

This book was excellent. There were secrets from the start that I wanted the answers to. The world-building was excellent- grounded in our world with just a hint of magic and some science mixed in. I loved the love story between Grace and Nick- even though the book only took place over a few days, the love story had a slow build which I loved. I read the book in two nights because it was a definite page-turner.

I'm also doing a Harry Potter reread. Last week I read THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE and THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being back in the world of Harry Potter. It feels like being back with an old friend again, and I'm quickly slipping into fangirldom. That's what Harry Potter does to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment