Friday, September 18, 2015

Friday Loves: THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

I was thinking earlier about what I was going to talk about for my Friday Loves post. And then it came to me so obviously when I was revising JAR OF HEARTS. In this manuscript, my MC Trevi wants to land the role of Christine in her high school's production of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. This book is by no means a retelling, but PHANTOM plays a pretty big part, and I loved drawing parallels between it's characters and my own. I also loved writing about the rehearsals, the acting, the songs. Most definitely the songs. Even revising, I'll listen to certain songs from the musical because I'm either talking about them in that moment, or they just work with the story.

PHANTOM was one of the first musicals I ever saw (LES MIS was the other but I can't remember which I saw first and which second) and it'll always hold a special place in my heart. The music is gorgeous. I love the drama. I love the costumes. I love the movie they made with Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler and Patrick Wilson. I could listen to "All I Ask of You" on repeat (with my eyes closed and my head back while I do, because that's just how you need to listen to it). I saw it again as an early adult and I can't wait for the day when I can take my kids to it and they can learn to love it as I do.


Until then, I've got JAR OF HEARTS, and the movie to rewatch. Like now.

No comments:

Post a Comment