Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Harry Potter Week, Day 2: Classes and Teachers

     So you've gotten your letter to Hogwarts. You've boarded the Hogwarts Express at Platform 9 3/4. You've gotten some treats off the trolley- perhaps some Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans, Cauldron Cakes, or Pumpkin Pasties (whatever the heck those are). You've been sorted into your new house (Hufflepuff for me), and you've gone to bed in your nice new dormitory.
     Then school begins... You get to learn charms and transfiguration, potions and history of magic. So on to today's questions...


What subject would you be most keen to take?
What subject do you think would be your favorite?
Which teacher would you hate the most?
Which teacher would be your favorite?

 
      Right now, if I could choose any subject from Hogwarts to learn, I'd definitely pick Defense Against The Dark Arts. How cool would it be to use Stupefy, Impedimenta, or Petrificus Totalus. Not to mention learning how to cast a patronus.

     Knowing me, I think Charms would probably be my favorite subject. Since I'm not a great cook, I don't think I'd be able to master the art of Potions. I bet Transfiguration is really hard. History of Magic might be exciting if it weren't for Professor Binns, the Ghost teacher, who drones on and on. I've never been an animal person so that takes out Care of Magical Creatures. Arithmancy and Ancient Runes are probably way beyond me. And I think I'd take the Harry and Ron route and just make stuff up in Divination. So that leaves Charms. It sounds like fun, not too difficult, and Flitwick seems like an easy-going teacher.

     I think for sure Snape would be my least favorite teacher. Unless I was a Slytherin, he would probably hate me because I think I'd be rubbish in his class. And, like Neville, I would be majorly intimidated by him which would just make me worse.

     I'd want Dumbledore as a teacher, he'd be my favorite for sure if he actually taught anything. Since he isn't a teacher, I would have to go for Flitwick or Lupin for DADA.

     Speaking of Dumbledore, I want to give a shout out to Richard Harris, who I think embodied Dumbledore to the max. Yes, Michael Gambon is a great actor, but Richard Harris is exactly how I picture Dumbledore in the books. So here's my movie clip for today showing the late, great Richard Harris.


     And also speaking of Dumbledore, because he's awesome, I'm going to take a couple of different quotes from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, all spoken by Dumbledore (page 49,50, 529).

"- yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely. "Best to say nothing at all, my dear man."

"I would assume that you were going to offer me refreshment," Dumbledore said to Uncle Vernon, "but the evidence so far suggests that that would be optimistic to the point of foolishness."

"There is nothing to be feared from a body, Harry, any more than there is anything to be feared from the darkness. Lord Voldemort, who of course secretly fears both, disagrees. But once again he reveals his own lack of wisdom. It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more." 

    So... what class would you want to take? What teacher would you love?

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Defense Against the Dark Arts! Only, I think I'd only like it if Lupin were teaching. All of the other teachers for that course were miserable. I think I'd like Transfiguration and Charms, and if someone interesting (like my AP US history teacher from high school) taught History of Magic, that could be interesting, only Bins would be dreadful--and he's not retiring anytime soon. Potions would be awful for me, since JKR made that sort of the wizard equivalent for chemistry. Blech! Snape and the DADA teachers but Lupin would be my least favorite.
    And I agree that Richard Harris was the perfect Dumbledore. Michael Gambon is a good actor, but something about him isn't so spot-on for Dumbledore. I don't think he's quite caring or eccentric enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah he doesn't have the twinkle in his eye, or that sillyness for sure. My US History teacher was awesome too- if he taught History of Magic, I would so love that class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pay a visit every day some web sites and sites to read content,
    however this web site offers feature based posts.


    my web blog voyance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in
    Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thank you

    Stop by my website: voyance gratuite

    ReplyDelete