Thursday, November 4, 2010

Beasts and Zombies

     Since Monday I've read two YA books, one I loved, and one... not so much.
     I don't really like to mention books that I didn't like that much. Somehow it seems a little unfair to the author. But since I didn't totally hate the book, I thought it would be okay.
    
     So the first book I read was The Forest of Hands and Teeth, by Carrie Ryan. What reading it made me realize is that post-apocalyptic, or dystopian, is not really my thing. (See my Hunger Games post).
     Basically this was a book about zombies, although not portrayed that way or I probably wouldn't have read it. Mary, the main character, lives in a village surrounded by a fence which keeps out the Forest of Hands and Teeth and the Unconsecrated (zombies). It's a world where if you're bitten by one of the Unconsecrated, you die and then become one. Think I Am Legend, except that they're not that fast but they can go out in daylight. With I Am Legend, I saw the movie, I was glad I saw the movie, but I don't want to see the movie again. Reading the book was like that. Definitely not one I would reread.
     But there were some good things about it. The love story was both thrilling and heart-wrenching, the characters were strong, and I found myself teary-eyed at parts. The ending left something to be desired for me, but I think that's because I like glorious happy endings (ex: the zombies get bombed off the planet and everything can go back to normal). This was more of just... an ending. Also, Mary was trying to figure out these secrets of the Sisterhood but then the author never gives the answers. Like a tease. So for me, not my favorite book, but I know a lot of people really like it so if you're not put off by zombies- give it a try.
    
     The book I loved was Beastly, by Alex Flinn. It's Beauty and the Beast remade into modern-day times. That fact alone gave it brownie points in my mind since Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney cartoon. I loved how similar it was to the story I know, and yet how the author twisted it enough so that it totally worked for modern times.
     It made me excited for this (see below)... a preview I swear I saw a year ago. I don't know what's taking so long for the movie to come out but I can't wait for the day! I'm glad too that they decided to spin his ugliness a different way, instead of making him actually look like a beast (like they do in the book).
     (I'm posting it separately because that's the only way I know how, but enjoy the trailer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment