Wednesday, February 11, 2015

What's Up Wednesday: The Winter Blah's

WHAT I'M READING
I read Emma, a retelling by Alexander McCall Smith. Wish I could talk about this book with someone because I have lots to say about it, which I won't do here. The one positive I will say is that I loved the dry, understated humor throughout. Then I read The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski. I was so into this book that if there was anything wrong with it, I definitely didn't notice. Awesome awesome book! Next up, All Fall Down by Ally Carter.

WHAT I'M WRITING
I got in around 5k this week. I should hit 40k today, yahoo! I also finished beta-ing a YA contemp.

WHAT WORKS FOR ME
Beta reading. I don't think I'm the best critiquer out there, but I find I learn as much reading for someone else as I do when others read for me. It pays to give back!

WHAT ELSE IS NEW
Not much. I swear, everyone I know is going on holidays sometime soon but we are going NOWHERE and won't be this entire year. Boo. The cold weather makes this even more depressing. I've started posting Love Lists on Fridays because I want to celebrate the positive and the things I go crazy for. Hopefully this will help lift the winter blah's too.
What's up with you?

13 comments:

  1. Beta reading is such a great thing to do - for the writer and the reader. Enjoy! :D

    Hope you have a good week and the blah goes away soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the great beta read and ALMOST hitting 40k!!!! GO YOU!!!! That is freaking awesome. I really enjoyed The Winner's Curse - can't wait for the 2nd book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can learn a lot from critiquing someone else's work! I loved THE WINNER'S CURSE - it was one of my top books last year. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you watched Emma Approved? It's by the same people who wrote and produced The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. So good. Also, congrats on the 5k this week. everyone is doing so great this week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nodding my head at each and every one of your sections. I loved THE WINNER'S CURSE too. Such a great book! The nice thing is we don't have long to wait for Book 2! I wrote roughly the same amount this week. *high fives you* Have to agree with you on beta-reading. I don't feel like the best critiquer in the world (I get way too into the story and sometimes miss things), but beta-reading always feels like it helps my own writing improve. Plus, I love doing it! Hope you have a great week...even though you're stuck in snowy Alberta. (I'm in the same not-going-anywhere-this-year boat. Bleh.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm feeling a bit burdened by the cold too. I bought the hubz Valentine's gifts because our Christmas was so practical (we bought big ticket items we needed and those were our gifts). Sending out cards to my nephews and family, it sort of makes the winter more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love beta reading, it can definitely be a learning experience. Congrats on the 5k this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your word count! 40K is great! I really enjoyed All Fall Down. It's one of my favorite of Ally Carter's books. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Winner's Curse in on my ever expanding TBR, need to get to it soon cause I keep hearing good things about it.
    Congrats on hitting 40K!!
    Urgh, I know what you mean about the winter blah's. Everyone at my work is going away on holiday in the next month or so and I probably won't get away until July which just seems so long away! Alas, Winter must end though and hopefully Spring will be here soon!
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for being a beta reader and good luck on hitting 40K. That's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your idea for Love Lists...I would absolutely do that as a blog hop. You should think about it, because I've been looking for a Friday Blog Hop. :) Your Love List post was great too. I hope you have an awesome week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes on the helpfulness of beta-reading! You can learn so much from critiquing for others. Also, I'm glad you were sucked into The Winner's Curse! I am so looking forward to The Winner's Crime. The way that first book ended, omg!

    Love list Fridays are a great idea! I do a thing with my friend every day where we try to name at least one happy thing for the day. It does help to focus on the positive. :)

    ReplyDelete