Friday, March 21, 2014

Mascara Mania

I'm going to deviate from my usually scheduled programming (ie: talking about books and writing) because I found THE MOST AMAZING mascara.

No, really. I did. And I swear I'm not selling the stuff or anything, so if this comes off sounding like some cheap ad, forgive me. It's just, I've been searching for the perfect mascara for forever and now that I found one that comes preeeeetty close, I just have to share it with the world (or, the girls out there).

I'm not much of a makeup person in general. I wear it more because I have to than because I want to. But mascara is my one must have. I constantly try new ones, each time foolishly believing that they will elongate or thicken or give me scandalous lashes. Bwaha. They never do. And then a facebook friend was having one of these online "parties" where they try to sell you stuff and I usually avoid that kind of thing but I couldn't help myself when I saw the before and after pictures. So I bought it just to try it out.

Here's my before and after:

This is me with normal mascara on. I've got regular length eyelashes, not really short but not really thick or long either.
And my after with my new fancy mascara. Just one coat, FYI.
Oh, and it's called Moodstruck 3D Fiber Lashes made by Younique
 
I'm gonna be honest about this stuff though. There are some downsides. First, it's expensive. It cost me $35 in Canada (it's $29 in the US) plus it's $10 for shipping. My sis-in-law ordered together so we would each only have to pay $5 shipping. They do free shipping for orders over $100 so next time we'll get another person in so we won't have to pay anything.
 
Second, this mascara takes time. You actually get two tubes when you buy it- one of gel, and one of fibers. You put on a coat of regular mascara first and let it dry. Then you put on a coat of gel, then right away a coat of fibers before the gel dries, then another coat of gel to set the fibers in place. See? Time. That's four coats of mascara per eye. Yeesh. And it's tricky to get the hang of the fibers which are basically little tiny black fuzzes or hairs that stick to your own lashes and make them look longer. I'm still trying to get the hang of it.
2 tubes and mascara case
 
Third, I find that some of the fibers get on my cheeks or on my brow bones during the day. The girl who sold it to me said this never happens to her (really?) and that I need to be putting on more 2nd coat gel. There isn't a lot of them, but it's still annoying to look in the mirror and see a tiny black bit on your face. (You do have to look really close though because they are teeny.)
 
My last thing isn't really a negative but a pet peeve. The tube says "water resistant." You can also go on YouTube and watch a ton of "how-to" videos for this stuff and they all say this mascara is waterproof. IT IS NOT. To me, waterproof means you can swim and it won't come off (or barely). As soon as you rub your eyes, this stuff starts coming off. Maybe if you cried but never touched your eyes it might be fine, but is that really possible? Or am I just an eye rubber? Ha. It doesn't bother me that it isn't waterproof, but DON'T SAY THAT IT IS.
 
Despite those negatives, I totally love this stuff. I don't wear it every day because it's too much work and my normal eyelashes aren't that bad. But once I have it on, I hate washing it off because my eyelashes look so pretty! Also, you can make them even longer with more coats which I did last Friday night. I swear, my eyelashes were almost to my eyebrows. I prefer a more natural look though so that wasn't really for me.
 
Anyway, amazing mascara. I love it. And now I'll stop talking about makeup. Okay, bye.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'll have to see if they do this is England! I'm a sucker for mascara, too, and this one sounds pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete